Former Zimbabwe captain Brendan Taylor, who is currently serving a three-and-a-half-year ban for breaching the ICC’s anti-corruption code, is gearing up for a return to international cricket. With his suspension ending on July 25, 2025, the 39-year-old is focused on making a comeback and contributing to Zimbabwe’s campaign for the 2027 ODI World Cup, which the nation will co-host.
A Second Chance at Cricket
Taylor, who initially considered transitioning into coaching, has been encouraged by Zimbabwe Cricket’s Managing Director, Givemore Makoni, to resume his playing career. Speaking about his ambitions, Taylor expressed his determination:
“I still want to play, and I believe I can make an impact as a player. If I didn’t feel capable, I wouldn’t bother. Givemore has been supportive and asked me to push myself toward the 2027 World Cup,” Taylor told ESPNcricinfo.
Despite being 41 years old by the time of the World Cup, Taylor is confident that his commitment to sobriety and fitness will allow him to play at the highest level once again.
The Road to Redemption
Taylor’s ban followed a shocking revelation in January 2022, where he admitted to drug and alcohol addiction and detailed an approach by match-fixers who coerced him after secretly filming him using cocaine. Although Taylor refused to fix matches, he delayed reporting the incident to the ICC, leading to his suspension.
Following his confession, Taylor checked himself into a rehabilitation center in Nyanga, near Zimbabwe’s border with Mozambique, where he spent 90 days focusing on recovery. Since then, he has remained clean and has started a private coaching facility at his home while gradually returning to training.
Training in Isolation
Under the terms of his ICC ban, Taylor cannot participate in official cricket or train with domestic or national teams. Instead, he has been utilizing the facilities at St. John’s College in Harare, training twice daily.
“I spend a lot of time in the nets and the high-performance center. I’m pushing myself hard and working on my batting. I still need to sharpen my fielding and wicketkeeping,” Taylor shared.
While his suspension will prevent him from participating in Zimbabwe’s historic Test against England in May, Taylor is aiming to return for the home series against New Zealand in August and the T20 World Cup Africa Qualifiers in September.
Inspired by Veteran Teammates
Taylor draws motivation from Zimbabwe’s experienced core, including Craig Ervine (39), Sikandar Raza (38), and Sean Williams (38). Seeing their continued contributions has strengthened his belief that he can still add value.
“They’re still leading from the front, and that inspires me. I want to come back and serve the team, not for personal glory but to genuinely contribute,” Taylor remarked.
Aiming for the 2027 World Cup
The 2027 ODI World Cup, which Zimbabwe will co-host, is a major driving force behind Taylor’s return. Reflecting on past disappointments, including missing the last two World Cups, Taylor hopes to play a role in changing Zimbabwe’s fortunes.
“A home World Cup is special. We’ve had heartache in recent years, but there’s a strong drive from Zimbabwe Cricket to get things right,” Taylor said.
Unfinished Business
Taylor acknowledges that his career with Zimbabwe Cricket feels unfinished, and he is eager to make amends for past mistakes.
“I wish I had offered more to Zimbabwe Cricket. I’ve apologized and moved forward. Now, I want to work with them and be a positive influence,” he concluded.
If successful, Taylor’s return would mark one of the most remarkable comebacks in cricket history, adding another chapter to his already distinguished career.
#BrendanTaylor #ZimbabweCricket #CricketComeback #ODIWorldCup2027 #CricketNews #ZIMvNZ